What is Temporomandibular Dysfunction?
Temporomandibular dysfunction (TMD) is a term which implies to a category of disorders that involve temporomandibular joint (joint in front of ears) and/or muscles of mastication (chewing). TMD commonly happens due to problems in the joint disc of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) or due to inflammation in the surrounding muscles.
What are the most common causes of TMD?
- Grinding and clenching teeth during day and night
- Imperfect bite
- Constant gum chewing
- Poor posture resulting in excessive straining of face and neck muscles
- Lack of restful sleep
- Poor diet
- Alignment or structural problems since birth
- Concussions, facial blows or motor vehicle accidents
What is TMJ Physiotherapy?
TMJ physiotherapy is a branch of orthopedic manual therapy which included assessment & treatment of temporomandibular joints, cervical spine and surrounding muscles.
Treatment involves a combination of:
- Stretching & Strengthening exercises of the jaw, head and neck muscles
- Manual therapy
- Modalities – Ultrasound, electric stimulation
- Behaviour modifications
- Postural correction
Who can Benefit from TMJ physiotherapy?
Anyone suffering from any of the following symptoms:
- Pain with chewing, talking and yawning
- Restricted mouth opening
- Joint sound of TMJ origin
- Intermittent locking on opening or closing of mouth
- Headache, jaw, facial and/or ear pain